Newcastle has dialled up the heat with loads of fun activities to keep families entertained all winter long. Winter blues? Not in Newcastle!
- Markets are a main stay in Newcastle and don’t miss out on the Hunt & Gather Markets held on the third Saturday of each month at Pacific Park, East Newcastle. The markets have unique handpicked clothing, jewellery, photography and home wares. The Newcastle Night Markets are on every second and fourth Friday night of each month at the Hunter Street Mall. Featuring gourmet food stalls and cuisines from around the world, they are must visit these holidays.
- The Newcastle Museum always has plenty of things to see and do and special workshops to keep kids entertained. Click for the latest events
- Winter is the perfect time to catch a glimpse of migrating whales as they head north to warmer waters. Relax while enjoying the view at King Edward Park or Nobbys Lighthouse, or take in a whale watching cruise most days and weekends. See Nova Cruises or Moonshadow Cruises for details.
- The Newcastle Art Gallery has fascinating exhibitions and hosts a number of child-friendly activities including workshops for children aged 5- 12 years during the school holidays.
- Enjoy a bike ride with the family along the Bathers Way, stretching from Newcastle Foreshore to Merewether Beach. The path is a great option for young families and a wonderful way to enjoy a sunny winter’s day in Newcastle while taking in the sights and sounds of the ocean and port.
- Children and adults alike will enjoy a range of historical activities including a visit to the Maitland Gaol. The gaol has a history spanning more than 150 years and is known to have housed some of Australia’s most hardened and notorious criminals. Open 7 days with self guided and guided tours available. Fort Scratchley, another notable history site, and the only coastal Australian fort to have fired at an enemy ship in the time of war, is a great spot to visit with the family. Enjoy a tunnel tour, or take a packed lunch and sit back while enjoying the views over the Pacific Ocean.
Newcastle has plenty of family-friendly dining options all year round and lots of accommodation specials to make it easy to escape for a weekend or a week.