Oregon is the 10th largest state in the US and sits on the Pacific northwest, close to the Canadian border. Its no surprise that the ‘great outdoors lifestyle’ flourishes here, with 230 state parks, 13 national forests, 6,000 lakes, 16 hot springs, canyons, mountains, ski trails, bike trails, hiking trails and 5,900 registered campsites!
A true natural playground, Oregon’s diverse landscapes afford families plenty of fantastic options for adventure and loads of wonderful experiences for children of all ages.
Here you’ll discover ghost towns and caves naturally carved in solid marble; wintering bald eagles; hazelnut crops, pear orchards and vineyards and, in the city of Portland, a contemporary, family-friendly metropolis with great family accommodation, museums, waterparks, aquarium, amusement parks, shopping, markets and yummy food choices!
Take a Pedicab (like a modern rickshaw) ride around Portland and join the bike-friendly locals in discovering the attractions via pedal-power. Spend the day in Washington Park with its zoo, two museums (including Portland Children’s Museum) and authentic Japanese gardens, travelling around the 159-acre park on the MAX Light rail.
Ride the Portland Streetcar through different shopping districts, pop into the Old Town/Chinatown neighbourhood and join the walkers, baby strollers and cyclists leisurely enjoying the treasure trove of shops and restaurants in the eco-friendly area of Southeast Clinton and Division Streets.
10 of the Best for Family Fun in Oregon
- Pitch a tent, build a campfire and toast marshmallows
- Visit Portland’s Children’s Zoo
- Spend a fun day at Mount Hood Adventure Park with more than 20 attractions
- Join in the family flapjack throwdown at Slappy Cakes (extra fun with built-in table griddles!)
- Kids get interactive at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
- See Portland on a Pedicab and then jump on the Portland Streetcar
- Relax and breathe in the great outdoors on a lake, on forest trails, on bike rides
- Marvel at the natural wonders of Hells Canyon, Oregon Caves National Monument and Crater Lake
- Meet the wildlife at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and Klamath Basin National Wildlife Refuge
- Explore the beautiful and tranquil Portland Japanese Garden