From an illuminated, interactive floor linked to grand piano to a spectacular Australian-first water light show, Vivid Sydney’s Light Walk is set to delight families this winter – and it’s all free!
Owned and managed by Destination NSW, the NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency, Vivid Sydney is the largest light, music and ideas festival in the Southern Hemisphere, on from 24 May to 10 June. It’s a ‘must see’ global event, highly anticipated by Sydneysiders and visitors alike.
With just under a month to go until the lights switch on, Vivid Sydney will welcome families from around Australia and overseas, who will join locals in an ‘after dark’ winter wonderland of interactive light installations, illuminated skyscrapers and large scale projections including the world famous Lighting of the Sails on the Sydney Opera House.
From 6pm until midnight each night, people of all ages can wander along the iconic harbour foreshore, taking in the Vivid Sydney Light Walk from Fort Denison, through Circular Quay, The Rocks and Walsh Bay. With Darling Harbour and the Sydney Harbour Bridge interactive light feature at North Sydney, there’s something for everyone – front and centre of Sydney’s famous harbour.
Easy to get around, the Vivid Sydney Light Walk is dotted with entertaining installations including a floating garden bed made entirely of fibre optic grass, a mirror that bends and ripples its reflection, and a simulation of hundreds of moths drawn to the streetlights.
Vivid Light Festival Director, Anthony Bastic, said Vivid Sydney continues to grow, becoming bigger and brighter each year.
“It will be the best Vivid Light yet, and it’s perfect for families to discover together! Our longest ever Light Walk will have more innovative installations and projections than ever before, splashed across the foreshore and creating an interactive, colourful night time playground for everyone to enjoy,” Mr Bastic said.
Australian creative innovators, The Spinifex Group, will create one of Vivid Sydney’s signature moments, the lighting of the Sydney Opera House sails, which will take visitors on a playful journey through time.
Destination NSW CEO Sandra Chipchase said Vivid Sydney is a safe and accessible event for people of all ages.
“Vivid Sydney is a fantastic, free, family-friendly event. There are countless light installations for families to get involved with – whether it’s dancing in front of Customs House and watching the building dance with them, or hearing their voice turn into the sounds of brass instruments when speaking and singing. It’s a great family evening out,” Ms Chipchase said.
In addition to the Vivid Sydney Light Walk, families will be spoilt for choice with a variety of experiences at Vivid Sydney, including night markets, activities and dining events.
- Vivid Night Markets at The Rocks – every Friday and Saturday night during Vivid
- Artisan and food market at Bradfield Park in North Sydney and a great spot to view the lighting of the sails on the Sydney Opera House – every Friday and Saturday from 6pm
- A choice of special offers from Luna Park including a family focussed Ferris Wheel offer with gourmet snacks on the go and a ride on the iconic Ferris Wheel
- Dinner DeLIGHTS at Fort Denison – a sumptuous two-course dinner overlooking the spectacular city lightshow, talks from Vivid Sydney Light artists and a guided tour of the historic Martello Tower
- Perfect views of Vivid Aquatique water theatre from Darling Harbour restaurants along Cockle Bay Wharf, Darling Quarter and Harbourside – mums and dads will also be able to visit the Citibank Pop-up Bar in Darling Harbour, open from 6pm to midnight
- The Digital Playground at the Overseas Passenger Terminal is another special activity for families – featuring My Little SIDEKILCK, hosted by Rachel Devine – a professional children and lifestyle photographer, taking the whole family on a wonderful journey of photography.
Public transport into Circular Quay is plentiful, with easy access for families to take the ferry, train or bus, with interchanges providing multiple options for families to travel to the light-filled harbor foreshores.
Vivid Sydney is one of five signature events in the NSW Events Calendar supported by the NSW Government through Destination NSW.
The full Vivid Sydney program is available at vividsydney.com