If you think you’ve ‘done’ the Gold Coast – think again. Tonya Ward uncovers the top local spots for family time, whether it’s eating out, getting active outdoors, or even just the best beaches around.
• Hike the Cougal Cascades Walk through world heritage rainforest in the Currumbin Valley, with viewing platforms, explanation boards, and impressive range of flora and fauna.
• Explore the magical Tamborine Mountain Glow Worm Caves at Cedar Creek Estate, a real spectacle of thousands of unearthly creatures glowing together.
• Take a horse trail ride at Numinbah Adventure Trails in the Gold Coast hinterland.
• Stroll the Ocean Walkway, a beautiful paved thoroughfare and bikeway along the Gold Coast foreshore.
• Discover the tree top walk through the rainforest canopy at O’Reilly’s in the Gold Coast hinterland, where kids can feed the lorikeets.
• Pick fresh berries from Pimpama Strawberry Farm, just north of Surfers Paradise.
• Visit the volunteer run research program at David Fleay Wildlife Park, Burleigh Heads, to see a huge variety of native animals.
• You’re guaranteed to catch a fish at Ecopark Fishing World in Luscombe, though don’t forget to throw it back!
• Hire a boat for the day and cruise the Broadwater, pull up on your own patch of private sand for a swim and picnic at South Stradbroke Island.
• Stroll above the trees at Tamborine Rainforest Skywalk, Mount Tamborine.
• Let the kids get arty at Energy Art in the Park on most Tuesdays at Apex Park in Burleigh Heads.
• Take older kids down to the Varsity Youth Precinct in Surfers and watch the skateboarders hit the ramps every second Friday night.
• Catch the ferry out to North Stradbroke Island for snorkelling and scuba diving.
• Go go-karting at Kingston Park Raceway with its own dedicated kids section.
• Take on Adrenaline Park in the heart of Surfers Paradise for trampolines, a giant slingshot, fly coaster, bungy jump and more.
• Roll up and have a ball zorbing at Zorb Gold Coast, Coomera.
• Of course, don’t forget the big theme parks: Sea World, Wet’n’Wild and Movie World. See our dedicated tips to conquering these behemoths here.