If you enjoy adventure, nature and a destination rich in history, then it’s time to dive into Darwin.
By Eliza Philips
Darwin is an excellent choice for families looking for an active getaway, or those looking for the quiet reflection that is so often prompted by wide-open spaces. There are so many great things for kids to get involved in here:
- Territory Wildlife Park. This is not your average zoo. Here kids can see dingoes, bilbies, saltwater crocodiles and many more
- Hand-feeding the fish at Aquascene, a short walk from the Darwin CBD
- Spectacular Jumping Crocodile Cruise on the Adelaide River, a 45-minute drive from Darwin
The Northern Territory is a great backdrop for a family road trip, being the gateway to fabulous Kakadu, Katherine and Uluru. There is so much outdoor fun for kids to have among its sprawling red desert and dramatic rockscapes that is sure to leave cherished memories for years to come.
Crocosaurus Cove, is a kid’s dream come true! Here you can see these fascinating creatures at all stages of development, with an opportunity to feed the young crocodiles, and even hold them.
Five things you didn’t know about crocodiles.
- Crocodiles are more closely related to birds than to reptiles.
- The first crocodiles appeared on earth around 240 million years ago, the same time as dinosaurs!
- The temperature of its nest determines the sex of a crocodile. There are concerns that global warming will produce more females than males and inhibit population growth.
- Crocs have a powerful bite – the Nile Crocodile has the strongest bite of any animal ever measured, including the long-extinct Tyrannosaurus Rex! And the bite of a 15-foot saltwater crocodile would be like a Ford Ute dropping on your foot.
- Crocodiles can go several months without a meal. To make sure you’re not its next– stay out of rivers and swimming holes and unpatrolled beaches, and always heed the warning signs.
When to go
The dry season, from May until October, is the best time for travel bringing warm days and balmy nights. The Wet season, from November to March, is considered by many to be the most beautiful time of year but is less predictable.
To help plan your perfect holiday, call Harvey World Travel 1300 855 492 or visit www.harveyworld.com.au