We all think we know our own backyard, but we discovered some fascinating Australian travel facts you may not know!
1. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, 9.2 million resident Australians left the country for short-term travel overseas in 2014/15 and while this figure includes people visiting family in other countries, it’s a fair bet that a large slice of those travellers were off on a family holiday!
2. The top 10 countries visited by Aussies in 2014/15 were:
- New Zealand
3. Australians LOVE cruises more than anyone else in the world! It’s estimated that 1 million of us will take a cruise holiday in 2016, according to a Cruise Industry Report.
4. The Tourism Research Australia National Visitor Survey showed that there were over 30 million domestic visitor nights spent in a holiday park or commercial camping ground in Australia in 2013.
5. In 2011 The Real Richness Report concluded that 85% of Australians have had a caravanning or camping experience at least once in their lifetime, and 88% of campers said they believed it is something that every child should experience!