Thailand is home to an amazing array of holiday experiences … here we round up eleven tantalising tips to making the most of your time in Thailand.
Khao Sok National Park in Surat Thani Image: Tourist Authority of Thailand
Beautiful beaches, sensational food and incredible shopping opportunities abound in Thailand but there are also over 100 spectacular national parks and marine national parks, scattered all over the country, waiting to be explored, including Khao Yai National Park, one of Asia’s largest forests and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Phang-Nga Bay Marine National Park in Phang-Nga is home to the famous ‘James Bond Island’, so-called for its iconic appearances in the films, ‘The Man with the Golden Gun’ and ‘Tomorrow Never Dies’.
- Vana Nava Hua Hin waterpark is Asia’s first water jungle, with over 200,000 living species from across Thailand! And, of course, there are water rides and slides galore providing hours of fun, plus a ropes course, climbing wall and Chang Surf Zone.
- Bangkok’s Chatuchak Weekend Market is one of the largest outdoor markets in the world, with over 15,000 individual stalls spread across 14ha!
- Take in the fascinating experience of one of Thailand’s fabulous Floating Markets – Damnoen Saduak Floating Market in Ratchaburi, Amphawa Floating Market in Samut Songkhram are the most famous – and you’ll find floating markets in Bangkok, Pattaya and Hua Hin too.
- The Temple of the Reclining Buddha, Wat Pho, is an awesome Bangkok highlight. The famous, and much-revered, Buddha is 46 metres long, 15 metres high and covered in gold leaf!
- There are over 30,000 Buddhist temples in Thailand, called wat.
- Chao Phraya River flows through Bangkok and is a wonderful way to see the city and all its sights – from the water! River ferries operate on fixed routes up, down and across the river. Stop at Wat Arun, a spectacular Buddhist temple, and one of Thailand’s most famous landmarks on the riverside.
- Visit Bangkok’s fabulous cultural attractions and temples, including Wat Prakaew and the Grand Palace.
- Enjoy a ziplining adventure at Flying Hanuman in Phuket, Flight of the Gibbon in Chiang Mai and Pattaya, Flying Squirrels Chiang Mai.
- Take a family-friendly cycling tour through Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ayutthaya and Sukhothai – there are several great operators in these areas including Spiceroads, Grasshopper Adventures and Bangkok Food Tours.